Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Recipe: Pandan Chiffon Cake

I did feel like baking tonight but then I am physically and mentally tired so I guess I just take it easy tonight but to fulfil my "baking urge" I wrote this post instead.. well it links to "baking" in some way right? :P

I made twice pandan chiffon cake and I have to say it is really indeed a very nice cake to have and you really can't stop at 1 piece. My first version was not so successfully but was well commented Nice still yet I felt there was missing the fragrance (as I didn't use coconut milk and fresh pandan leaves) and also that extra sponginess of a chiffon cake should have. With that, Pandan chiffon cake version2 was created.

Ingredients 

Group A
150g Self Raising Flour
60g Caster Sugar (original recipe state 80g but I kinda like to reduce sugar in my baking)
90ml Coconut Milk
1/4 teaspoon Pandan paste + 30ml water
60ml Vegetable Oil (or 40ml Coconut Milk + 20ml Vegetable oil - this is what I used as I wanted to finish the coconut milk)
5 Yolks

Group B
5 Egg Whites
80g Caster Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Cream Tartar

Mould used: I think it is 21cm one - the smallest version. there is 23 cm mould out there so if you got the bigger mould then effect may be a bit different. Anyway I personally feel it is how well you beat the egg white is one big key for the success of this cake and not much of the size of the mould.

Method:

1) Preheat Oven at 160'c *DO NOT GREASE OR OIL THE MOULD/PAN*
2) Shift 150g Self Raising flour - set aside
3) Start with Group A : Prepare the 90ml Pandan juice - if you got access to Fresh Pandan leaves then please make it but as I don't have so pandan paste is use and to make it more sinful, I added coconut milk to the paste
4) Beat Egg Yolks with Caster Sugar till creamy (with a balloon whisk)
5) Add Pandan Juice , beat it for a while
6) Add Oil (vegetable / corn oil)
7) Add the Self Raisingflour into the mixture. Give it a good stir with the egg beater

8) Group B: Beat egg white till it becomes foamy
9) Add Cream Tartar to mixture, beat for 2 minutes
10) Add Sugar slowly to mixture (split into 3 batch) and beat it till stiff peaks (for my experience: this would take a good 4 min beating with a electric hand beater)

11) Slowly take the egg white mixture (Group B) and fold it into Egg Yolk mixture (Group A). Split the fold to 3 batches. Note: don't use electric mixer to do this "folding part" it would KILL the cake.

12) Pour into the mould (Yes, you need to have the mould that has a hole in the middle and non-stick). I like to make ribbons out of it so I pour around it so it is more balanced out.

13) Bake 160'c for 10 min, then change it to 180' for 30-35 mins as per original recipe. However due to I was using middle rack of my oven,  I change it to 160" for 25 mins and then 180'  for 20 mins.  Basically, you know your oven the best. Once you see it rise (take approx 10 mins) then monitor whether it gets BROWN too fast, if so, turn down temperature to about 150-160'.  it definitely would be done in 50 mins.

Cooling Part
14) Once remove from oven, invert the pan immediately (meaning Turn it upside down). have a little bottle or something to help sustain the weight of the pan so that it doesn't collapse or shrink.
15) Once cooled down, turn it back over. Use a knife and slide it as the side and at the ring hole. With that it would be removable from the pan. Cut and serve! :)



Verdict: Tigerbaby really love this and had 4 slices within 3 days. Well clueless mom too!



No comments:

Post a Comment